BACKGROUND OF ISLM
The history of training technicians in the Engineering and Surveying in Uganda dates back to 1922 when a pioneering group of students were admitted to Makerere Technical College. Over time the Survey technicians’ course was transferred to Nakawa Vocational College in Kampala and to Survey Training School, Entebbe in 1944.
From 1996 onwards, the government of Uganda carried out the Public Service Reform Program whose objective was to improve efficiency and effectiveness within the Public Service. One of the key components of this is the restructuring and rationalization of all government functions while taking into consideration of the existing legislation and emerging Government policy.There after Government came up with a policy that transferred all teaching tertiary institutions from their respective sector ministries to the ministry of Education and sports by then.
The rational was to ensure effective coordination and consistence as government no longer trains personnel for public sector only, but rather for the wider market which is both local and international. The transfer process involved reviewing the operations and structures of transferred institutions. To that effect, the school was reopened 2006 and was streamlined into the Business, Technical, Vocational Education and Training (BTVET). It was decided to merge the Survey Training School and Physical Planning School formerly at the Department of Physical Planning in the ministry of Lands Housing and Urban Development Headquarters into Institute of Survey and Land Management (ISLM).
Making an impact in the community since 2006.
The main campus of the institute of Survey and Land Management (ISLM) is located approximately 300meters off Airport road on pot 24, Julia Ssebutinde/ Former Gower’s Road.
Mr Oguro Benard
The Survey Training School was established by the British Government in 1944 at Katabi sub –county in the then Mpigi District and currently in Wakiso District for specialized training of technicians to generate National Maps and relevant data and it graduated the first batch of Ugandan Surveyors in the 1950s.
While under the Policy direction of the Ministry of Lands the school admitted the S4 leavers for training at diploma level in 1971. The school remained under the Ministry of Lands until the 1998 restructuring exercise of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) which transferred all training institutions to the Ministry of Education and Sports.
Upon transfer to the Ministry of Education and Sports, the school was closed until 2006 a period which was used by the relevant stakeholders to address the transitional processes including the mainstreaming and the streamlining from one parent Ministry to another. Some of the key processes included the proposal to transfer the name and not the human resource and infrastructure of the school to Kyambogo University among others.
When the school was reopened 2006 under the Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) it was streamlined into the Business, Technical, and Vocational Education (BTVET) Department following a merger of Survey Training School (STS), and the Physical Planning Institute (PPI) into the current Institute of Survey and Land Management (ISLM), Nakasamba Sub-ward – Entebbe Municipality.
On re-opening, the Institute had a lean enrolment of 33 students. However, the demand for the graduates from the Institute has kept increasing alongside the student enrolment which currently stands at 503 of the student population as of 2017.This implies that the student population has been and continues to grow at an annual increasing rate of 7% per annum.
The Institution is headed by a Principal who receives overall policy direction from the Governing Council appointed by the Minister of Education and Sports as per the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act (UOTIA) 2001, amended 2006 with a Chairperson and 15 constituent members.
The Principal is assisted by a Deputy Principal and the duo is responsible for the academic, administrative and financial affairs of the Institute. There is also is Bursar who is the steward of the Non –Teaching Staff, the Academic Registrar for academics and a Librarian.
The Institute offers four diplomas (04) land related programs i.e.
- Land Surveying and Geomatics
- Cartography (geo-informatics)
- Physical Planning
- Land Management and Valuation
Other programs are;
- Certificate in Land Management and Geomatics.
- Short Certificate Course in;-
1. Management of Land Acquisition, Resettlement & Restoration
2. Geographical Information Systems
3. Computer Aided Design and Drafting
I wish you all the very best